Step-by-Step Process To Purchasing a Tennessee Bond
From time to time the State provides individual investors the
opportunity to place orders to purchase bonds before other
investors. Here is the step-by-step process.
Step 1: Have a brokerage account.
- Bonds cannot be purchased directly from the State. You must have an account with one of the brokerage firms participating in the bond sale or with another firm that can place an order through a brokerage firm participating in the bond sale.
- (If you have a brokerage account, go to Step 2.)
- Investors are encouraged to begin the New Account process well in advance of the sale date. Depending on the brokerage firm, internal new account procedures may take some time to process.
- Each firm has its own requirements for opening an account. The State does not endorse any particular brokerage firm. Additionally, the State does not guarantee that any one of these firms will open an account for an investor.
Step 2: Learn about the bonds.
- Read the Preliminary Official Statement available from this web site or from the participating brokers to learn about the bonds, including their security, maturity dates, credit ratings, the types of projects they finance and other information that you may find important to help you make an informed investment decision. This website is not an offer to sell any bonds.
- Review Upcoming/Current Offerings.
Step 3: Place your order.
- Contact the broker with whom you have an account, either online or by phone, to get more information about how to buy bonds during the early order period. Discuss with the broker the number of bonds, the maturity date and the price at which you are willing to purchase the bonds, as well as any questions you may have from examining the Preliminary Official Statement (POS).