Skip to Main Content


The Office of State Assessed Properties conducts annual appraisals, assessments, and audits of public utility and transportation properties. These assessments are certified to counties, cities, and other taxing jurisdictions for billing and collection of property taxes.  The office appraises:

  • Commercial airlines and airfreight companies holding a common carrier certificate;
  • Barge line companies;
  • Privately-owned electric, electric cooperative, and gas companies;
  • Interstate natural gas and products pipeline companies;
  • Power companies, including hydroelectric, steam, and atomic power, and green sources that produce electricity, such as geothermal, hydrogen, solar and wind companies;
  • Private railcar and railroad companies;
  • Motor bus and motor carrier companies;
  • Telephone companies, including cellular and wireless, telephone cooperative, and wireless management companies; and
  • Water and sewer companies regulated by the Tennessee Regulatory Authority.

Office of State Assessed Properties
Cordell Hull Building
425 Fifth Avenue North
Nashville, Tennessee 37243

Our three major functions include assessing, appraising, and auditing real and personal property of public utility and transportation companies that have property in the State of Tennessee.

Factually, there is no such thing as a public utility tax; however, there is a property tax that the class of public utilities pay.

OSAP assesses real, intangible and/or tangible personal property owned, leased and/or used. Note: Real Property owned has to be in the exact name of the company.

OSAP assesses 18 types of public utility and transportation companies with a presence in the State of Tennessee- such as airlines, motor carrier, railroads, wireless managment, etc. See link below for a complete list of company types. T.C.A. § 67-5-1301

Electronic Filing is available for all company types. Please click here to access the online system. Paper returns can be downloaded here. Once completed, mail it to:

Office of State Assessed Properties
Cordell Hull Building
425 Fifth Avenue North
Nashville, Tennessee 37243

Electronic Filing is available for all company types. Please click here to access the online system.

The Ad Valorem Tax Report is due on or before April 1 of each year. The report is not considered late if it is postmarked by April 1.  T.C.A. §67-5-1303

No, the tax report should be mailed to our office by the statutory deadline.

On or before the first Monday in August, assessments shall be completed and notices will be mailed to each company by our office.  T.C.A. §67-5-1327

You will receive a forced assessment in addition to losing your rights to appeal in front of the State Board of Equalization. 
T.C.A. §67-5-1317

Property reported on the Ad Valorem Tax Report should not be reported to the local county assessor's office.

You have until September 1 following the tax year to submit an amended return. 
T.C.A. §67-5-903(e)

You have to make it known to our office on or before March 1 following the second tax year. 

T.C.A. §67-5-509

Only if you filed a return, you have the right to appeal within 10 days after the first Monday in August. 
T.C.A. §67-5-1327

Stephanie Maxwell

Betsy Knotts at



Assessments are calculated based on the company type. Refer to the links below.

Motor Bus Worksheet

Motor Carrier Worksheet

Private Car Worksheet

No, your assessed value is not the amount of taxes you owe. After you receive your final equalized assessment, apply the appropriate city and county tax rate.

Your tax bill will come from your County Trustee's or City Official by mid-January.  It's due on or before March 1. If you fail to pay by the due date, penalties and interest are applicable.  T.C.A. §67-5-2010

No, OSAP statutory lien date is 1/1 of the current tax year. For example, if you start in May of 2018, you will have to complete a 2019 Ad Valorem Tax Report due on April 1, 2019.  In this case, you
would not be required to file a 2018 Ad Valorem Tax Report.

Yes, since you were operating the business as of 1/1 of that tax year, then you are liable to pay property taxes for the entire year.

Write a letter stating that your company is no longer operating, list the date it went out of business, who you sold your assets to and/or how the assets were disposed of.

Note:   You are liable to file a final return and pay property taxes for that year since you were operating the business as of 1/1 of that tax year.

Truck companies

In addition to the letter, submit your insurance and motor carrier authority cancellation.  You can cancel your authority on line by clicking here. You can also call FMSCA's Tennessee office at 615.781.5781.

You can cancel your authority on line by clicking here. You can also call FMSCA's Tennessee office at 615-781-5781.

The City of Memphis has different collection periods. If you get a bill in the middle of the year, pay it when it is due to avoid any additional penalities or interest. If the actual assessment is higher or lower than the previous assessment (pre-bill), you will either get a credit or an additional tax bill by mid-January.

Potential audits are randomly selected. You're at a greater risk of being audited if you fail to file a report, inconsistently file reports or if it appears that you have used depreciated costs. 
T.C.A. §67-5-1320

Auditors are normally in the field for three days or less. You will receive the audit results within 60 days after the audit.

If the auditors discover additional property, you can be back assessed based on the audit findings. Back assessment means in addition to your original assessment.

T.C.A. §67-1-1005 
T.C.A. §67-1-1007

Please contact Ben Baggett at 615-747-5236 or via email at  to obtain railroad maps.

Any type of real property question should be directed to OSAP's Appraisal Supervisor Mr. Ben Baggett at 615.747.5236 or via email . He can address real property questions regarding railroads, cellular towers, railroad right-of-ways, annexations, Special School District information and etc.

You can contact the Office of State Assessed Properties by calling (615) 741-0140 or via email at